The Tower of London Poppy Installation

During our day trip to London on Saturday the first thing we did was go and see the Tower of London poppy installation. I know that it has been blogged about by quite a few bloggers already but that isn’t going to stop me from doing my own little post about it as it is quite special!

For those of you who don’t know the poppy installation is called the Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red and marks one hundred years since Britain entered into the First World War. Each poppy represents a fatality during the war and throughout the summer they have been adding more and more poppies to the display.

The poppies are ceramic and are handmade using techniques which were used by potters during the First World War. The poppy installation is certainly spectacular to look at and a very touching tribute to all those who lost their lives during WWI. I am so glad I got to see it first hand and it made me very proud to be British. You can even purchase a poppy for 25 pounds which you will receive once the installation is removed at the end of November and I believe 10 per cent of each purchase will go to service charities.

The installation will be there for all to see until Remembrance Day on the 11th November. You can read more about it here.

So tell me, have you seen the poppy installation? What do you think of it?

Travel Tuesday

78 Comments

1. Bea 16th September 2014 / 5:38 am

Hi Sarah!
    I like them!

2. Carly @ Let Us Wanderlust 16th September 2014 / 6:02 am

Oh wow!! That installation is gorgeous. I wish I could see it in real life! Aside from being beautiful, it's so special what each Poppy represents. I think that's the real beauty of it 🙂

3. Bea 16th September 2014 / 6:38 am

Hi Sarah!
    I like them!

4. Carly @ Let Us Wanderlust 16th September 2014 / 7:02 am

Oh wow!! That installation is gorgeous. I wish I could see it in real life! Aside from being beautiful, it’s so special what each Poppy represents. I think that’s the real beauty of it 🙂

5. Cecilia 16th September 2014 / 9:38 am

I've heard about this from someone who had been there at work. Would love to see it for myself but will miss out 🙁 Did you buy a poppy then?

6. Natalye 16th September 2014 / 10:21 am

Looks lovely (and like a lot of work to make)… thanks for sharing.

7. Cecilia 16th September 2014 / 10:38 am

I’ve heard about this from someone who had been there at work. Would love to see it for myself but will miss out 🙁 Did you buy a poppy then?

8. Natalye 16th September 2014 / 11:21 am

Looks lovely (and like a lot of work to make)… thanks for sharing.

9. Sandra Dötsch 16th September 2014 / 12:13 pm

I love this kind of art with a message/purpose. Even though I live in London for 2years (at the moment I am in Argentina though^^) I haven't seen it in real, but I will put it on my list for next year definitely! 🙂

10. Sandra Dötsch 16th September 2014 / 1:13 pm

I love this kind of art with a message/purpose. Even though I live in London for 2years (at the moment I am in Argentina though^^) I haven’t seen it in real, but I will put it on my list for next year definitely! 🙂

11. Amanda @ Rhyme & Ribbons 16th September 2014 / 1:33 pm

It’s so beautiful. I find it deeply touching and am so glad to have gotten to see it. x

• Sarah @ DaydreamsofSummertime 18th September 2014 / 8:16 pm

I know, it was a must see, I might go back again when I am in London next weekend! x

12. Darci Miller 16th September 2014 / 3:56 pm

Oh wow, this is so beautiful and incredibly powerful. I so wish I could be in London to see it in person!

13. Darci Miller 16th September 2014 / 4:56 pm

14. Jessi 16th September 2014 / 5:34 pm

I love love LOVE this installation. It is so beautiful and moving – I think they have done an amazing job. I'm going to going back soon to see it "grow".

15. Stephie Jessop 16th September 2014 / 6:12 pm

That is so stunning! I love the drama of it, and really captures the sadness of the event and the beauty of commemorating all those lives, Stephie from Tea in Your Twenties xx

16. Jessi @2feet1world 16th September 2014 / 6:34 pm

I love love LOVE this installation. It is so beautiful and moving – I think they have done an amazing job. I’m going to going back soon to see it “grow”.

17. Stephie Jessop 16th September 2014 / 7:12 pm

18. Julie 16th September 2014 / 10:05 pm

I love that they do that. Here in the US we seem to have forgotten all about WWI. And quickly forgetting WWII as well. 🙁

19. Julie 16th September 2014 / 10:05 pm

I know if we did more memorable things like that then it would be more meaningful to us.

20. ClemandMarcella 16th September 2014 / 10:14 pm

Great photos! I love the brightness of the red. I need to see this before it ends! 🙂

21. Julie || alonewithmytea.com 16th September 2014 / 11:05 pm

• Julie || alonewithmytea.com 16th September 2014 / 11:05 pm

• Sarah @ DaydreamsofSummertime 18th September 2014 / 8:24 pm

Yeah in the UK we still make a big deal about both of the wars which is nice, That is a shame the US don’t 🙁

22. Marcella ~ WhatAWonderfulWorld 16th September 2014 / 11:14 pm

23. Kristen Warren 17th September 2014 / 12:12 am

i had seen it before – shamefully only on people.com because of kate & wills but i didn't know why so i really enjoyed reading this. it's a great way to honour the event, not to mention it's beautiful

24. Kristen @ SYIAP 17th September 2014 / 1:12 am

i had seen it before – shamefully only on people.com because of kate & wills but i didn’t know why so i really enjoyed reading this. it’s a great way to honour the event, not to mention it’s beautiful

25. Dannielle @ Chicadeedee 17th September 2014 / 12:09 pm

I'm really looking forward to seeing the poppies, it's an amazing installation and chilling at the same time to think each one represents a life.

26. Beth 17th September 2014 / 12:16 pm

Maybe a few bloggers have blogged about this already but this was by far the most informative post I’ve read so far! I wasn’t actually sure what this installation was about before or why it was there. Thanks so much for sharing. It’s such a stunning piece, I really want to go see it x

27. Michelle 17th September 2014 / 12:44 pm

Your photos of this are as stunning as your photos of everything else!!
    I hope I get to go and see it in real life before Remembrance Day but thank you for sharing – I had no idea they were all handmade ceramics!
    M x

28. Dannielle @ Chicadeedee 17th September 2014 / 1:09 pm

I’m really looking forward to seeing the poppies, it’s an amazing installation and chilling at the same time to think each one represents a life.

29. Michelle 17th September 2014 / 1:44 pm

Your photos of this are as stunning as your photos of everything else!!
    M x

30. Kerri 17th September 2014 / 2:36 pm

I love your photos of the place! I'd love to see it, but your photos will have to suffice 🙂

For the 100 years here, the put together a coloured petal thing on the floor, with a picture of the city and the dates and stuff. It wasn't too bad but we didn't get around to heading down to really check it out, they only had it there for a few days.
    They also had some large pictures from the war that they placed in the areas that they were photos of, showing all the destruction and damage. From what I understand during the war, the town we live in was basically burned to the ground and all the people we pretty much killed. I think they just marched through Belgium in a way and destroyed as they went along.

31. Kerri 17th September 2014 / 3:36 pm

I love your photos of the place! I’d love to see it, but your photos will have to suffice 🙂

For the 100 years here, the put together a coloured petal thing on the floor, with a picture of the city and the dates and stuff. It wasn’t too bad but we didn’t get around to heading down to really check it out, they only had it there for a few days.

• Sarah @ DaydreamsofSummertime 18th September 2014 / 8:33 pm

Thanks Kerri!

I like the poppy installation as it is quite a simple idea but quite powerful.
      It is hard to imagine what it must have been like in places like Belgium during the war.

32. Camila 18th September 2014 / 2:16 am

Wow thank you so much for sharing Sarah! I had actually seen a news article on it, but haven't seen a blog post about it yet (or at least not by one my favourite bloggers). It is so beautiful and it's kind of haunting when you think so many lives have been lost!

33. Camila @ AdventitiousViolet 18th September 2014 / 3:16 am

Wow thank you so much for sharing Sarah! I had actually seen a news article on it, but haven’t seen a blog post about it yet (or at least not by one my favourite bloggers). It is so beautiful and it’s kind of haunting when you think so many lives have been lost!

• Sarah @ DaydreamsofSummertime 18th September 2014 / 8:34 pm

Thanks Camila! Yes it’s easy to forget the horror that happened but this is quite an effective way to remember those who lost their lives.

34. Sarah @ DaydreamsofSummertime 18th September 2014 / 7:16 pm

35. Sarah @ DaydreamsofSummertime 18th September 2014 / 7:24 pm

Yeah in the UK we still make a big deal about both of the wars which is nice, That is a shame the US don't 🙁

36. Sarah @ DaydreamsofSummertime 18th September 2014 / 7:33 pm

Thanks Kerri!

I like the poppy installation as it is quite a simple idea but quite powerful.

37. Sarah @ DaydreamsofSummertime 18th September 2014 / 7:34 pm

Thanks Camila! Yes it's easy to forget the horror that happened but this is quite an effective way to remember those who lost their lives.

38. Yalanda_Meshell 20th September 2014 / 1:10 pm

That is simply stunning! Truly breathtaking! How awesome that you got to see it!!

39. Yalanda_Meshell 20th September 2014 / 2:10 pm

40. AmyMacWorld 21st September 2014 / 4:40 pm

So beautiful and unique! I would love to see this. Your pictures are incredible! Even though it's commemorating a horror, it's kind of beautiful that each life gets a poppy in remembrance.

41. AmyMacWorld 21st September 2014 / 5:40 pm

So beautiful and unique! I would love to see this. Your pictures are incredible! Even though it’s commemorating a horror, it’s kind of beautiful that each life gets a poppy in remembrance.

42. thisandthatblog 28th September 2014 / 1:48 pm

I think this is such a lovely memorial to see. I have to confess that I still haven't been to see this myself – crazy seeing that I live in London. But I will definitely get there soon.
    Laura xx

43. thisandthatblog 28th September 2014 / 2:48 pm

I think this is such a lovely memorial to see. I have to confess that I still haven’t been to see this myself – crazy seeing that I live in London. But I will definitely get there soon.
    Laura xx

44. FengLin 5th October 2014 / 8:46 am

Wow you take amazing pictures! Love the significance behind the sea of red poppies.

45. FengLin 5th October 2014 / 9:46 am

Wow you take amazing pictures! I’ve seen pictures of the red poppies on Instagram but didnt know that there’s a story behind it till you shared.

46. Holly Hollyson 11th December 2014 / 7:33 pm

My friends are just starting to receive their poppies, I wish I had thought to get one for myself.

47. Holly Hollyson 11th December 2014 / 6:33 pm